Epiphone SG Special VE
The new Epiphone SG-Special VE is a great way for new players to discover a rock classic at a price anyone can afford. Featuring Epiphone open-coil humbuckers with Ceramic Magnets and available in five beautiful Vintage Worn finishes including Cherry, Ebony, Heritage Cherry Sunburst, Vintage Sunburst, and Walnut.
When the "SG" double cutaway electric guitar was first released, it was intended to take the place of the Les Paul,which was discontinued throughout most of the 60s. Lightweight yet powerful, the SG became a hard rock classic all its own and was embraced by a wide range of players including Eric Clapton, the Allman Brothers, Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath, and Pete Townshend of The Who. The new SG-Special VE has the same iconic design with a Poplar body with a Mahogany veneer and a black pickguard. The bolt-on Mahogany neck has a 1960's SlimTaper D profile, a standard SG scale length of 24.75", a fingerboard with pearloid dot inlays, and 22 medium jumbo frets. The "Clipped Ear" style headstock has a 60s era Epiphone logo in silver and a "2017" Edition logo on the back of headstock. The SG-Special VE™ is available in Cherry, Ebony, Heritage Cherry Sunburst, Vintage Sunburst, and Walnut Vintage Worn finishes.
The SG-Special VE is powered by two Epiphone open-coil humbuckers with ceramic magnets. Owners of vintage SGs and Les Pauls often remove their pickup covers for a better bass response and magnetic pull. Ceramic pickups have a higher output than vintage Alnico magnet pickups and are designed to provide a tight low-end response with both a smooth mid-range and a slightly more pronounced top end tone. Ceramic magnets have been a favorite of metal and hard rock guitarists for decades. The SG-Special VE has a 650R in the rhythm position and a slightly "hotter" 700T in the lead position. Controls include a Master Volume and Master Tone with traditional black "Speed" knobs and a 3-way pickup selector.
The new SG-Special VE features Epiphone-designed rock solid hardware including the classic SG style LockTone Tune-o-matic bridge and Stopbar tailpiece, a non-rotating ¼" output jack, and premium die-cast 14:1 ratio machine heads for fast and accurate tuning. An optional hard case is also available.
- Classic SG style with five Vintage Worn color finishes
- Open Humbuckers with Ceramic Magnets
- Epiphone Premium Machine Heads
- Finish: Vintage Worn
- Body Material: Poplar w/ Mahogany Veneer
- Neck Material: Mahogany
- Neck Shape: 1960's SlimTaper™; D profile
- Neck Joint: Bolt On
- Scale Length: 24.75"
- Headstock: Epiphone "Clipped Ear"; "Les Paul Model" in gold; "Epiphone" logo in silver
- Frets: 22 Medium Jumbo
- Truss Rod: Adjustable
- Truss Rod Cover: "Bell" shaped; 2-layer; "SG" in white
- Fingerboard Radius: 14"
- Fingerboard Inlay: Pearloid "Dot" Inlays
- Binding: None
- Nut Width: 1-11/16"
- Hardware: Nickel
- Machine Heads: Premium Covered; 14:1 ratio
- Neck Pickup: Epiphone 650R Humbucker; Open-coil; Ceramic-8 Magnets
- Bridge Pickup: Epiphone 700T Humbucker; Open-coil, Ceramic-8 Magnets
- Controls: 3-way Pickup Selector, Master Volume, Master Tone
- Knobs: Black "Speed" knobs
- Bridge: LockTone™ Tune-o-matic
- Tailpiece: Stopbar
- Output Jack: Epiphone Exclusive Non-rotating, Heavy Duty Output Jack, Metal Output Jack Plate
- Colors: Cherry (CHV), Ebony (EBV), Heritage Cherry Sunburst (HSV), Vintage Sunburst (VSV), Walnut (WLV)
- Other: "2017" Edition logo on back of headstock
- Optional: Hard Case (940-EGCS), Case UPC = 711106261447
Questions? Call our staff! We'd be happy to help. 1-866-386-5638